RAF Cosford will once again host another great triathlon in the RAF Triathlon Try-a-Tri Sprint Series. As part of the Try-a-Tri series it is open to all and is ideal for beginners but, as the culmination of this year's events, this event will also include the Sir Chris Moran Sprint Championships
Please read the full detailed description of the event.General
RAF Cosford is a BTF sanctioned event and part of the RAF Triathlon Try-a-Tri Sprint Series. The Sprint Series events are only open to military personnel (and dependants), MoD civil servants and UAS/DTUS cadets. The Cosford race is also open to members of the Police Force as their Sprint Champs. Other Emergency service personnel may compete by invitation only, and should approach the Deputy Race Director at the earliest opportunity (firstname.lastname@example.org) to inform their intent to participate.
Limited entries will be accepted on the day, but the event capacity cannot exceed. Personnel intending to enter on the day should first approach the Deputy Race Director (email@example.com) to confirm eligibility. Cash payment will not be accepted, payments on the day will be by cheque only with a valid RAF F1250/MOD F90 ID Card.
Relay entries are welcomed rules for which are available in the Coordinating Instruction available on the RAF Triathlon Association website (www.raf.mod.uk/raftriathlon).
Race Date. Wednesday 6 September 2017.
Race Venue. RAF Cosford, Wolverhampton, WV7 3EX. The race is run from the transition area which is alongside the swimming pool. Have a look at the start/finish points on the course routes to see where that is. There is a car park opposite the main camp gate that doesn't require a car pass. Alternatively racers can use the main station car park but need to book in through the main guard room to get a pass. They're both a similar distance to the event. Registration will take place in an office in the back of the pool, accessed next to transition. The pool changing rooms will be available to competitors.
Race Distances. 390m indoor pool swim, 24km single lap bike ride, and 5km single lap run.
- 0930-1130: Registration and transition open.
- 1230: Race Briefing.
- 1300: Transition closes, first competitors start.
- TBC: Transition re-opens after the last runner is out on the course, managed access may be available beforehand.
- 1600: Prize giving (or 20 mins after the last competitor is back)
Race Registration (Competitor Responsibilities)
At registration, competitors are to bring:
- Documentation. Race confirmation e-mail, race licence (where applicable) and F1250/MOD F90 ID Card.
- Civilians. Civilians are also required to produce a completed race declaration form at Appendix 1 to the Coordinating Instruction available on the RAF Triathlon Association Website.
Some "Hot" BTF rules
The Sprint Series is a BTF sanctioned race and will be assessed to BTF standards, a comprehensive list of the rules are available on the BTF website. Competitors should specifically note the following:
- Helmet chin-straps are to be tight enough to fit 2 of the athletes fingers into the closed straps. This will be checked at event registration entry so please have your helmet ready.
- No calf guards (or lower leg coverings) in the pool. You can put them on in transition after water exit.
- Clothing with front fastening zips are to be fully fastened.
- All handlebar ends are to be plugged
RAF Triathlon Sprint Series Rules
So what is permitted?
Road bikes, Mountain bikes, Hybrids and Time-Trial bikes are all permitted this year, as are deep-section and disc wheels as well as aero helmets.
Helmets must be BSI, ANSI, Snell or equivalent standard.
The race briefing will be at 1230 sharp. This should not be missed as it will provide information specific to the event, including updates, clarification of rules and ensure that your race is as safe as possible. Any appropriate rules will be discussed at this point. If any competitors have any queries about the race then this is the time to ask the race referee or organizer:
Swim 390m (13 lengths). Competitors will be started in waves at short intervals from the deep end of the pool. Everyone will start in the water - no diving starts! The start list and competitor start time will be confirmed at registration, and a printout of the start list will also be placed on the RAF Triathlon Trailer. Please get to the pool 10 mins before your start time to receive your timing chip and wear the provided swim hat at all times in the pool. Any recognised stroke is permitted.
Cycle 24km. Route is shown under course details on this site.
- Helmets. Helmets must be fastened before mounting the cycle, worn at all times during the cycling section of the event, and not unfastened until the cycle has been returned to its original position (FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN A TIME PENALTY).
- Assistance. Any assistance other than that provided by the organisers will result in a penalty. Competitors are NOT ALLOWED TO DRAFT! The cycle draft zone is defined as a rectangle surrounding every competitor that is 3m wide and extends 10m behind the front wheel of a competitor’s cycle.
- Road Safety. Competitors must obey all traffic signals and follow any directions given by the race marshals or officials. Any infringement of the law and subsequent legal action is the sole responsibility of the competitor.
- Run 5km. The run route is shown under course details on this site